If you’re a fan of cheese tortellini, this creamy tortellini soup was made for you! This recipe was rated 5 stars by some of the pickiest eaters I know (and that’s saying something)!
This cheese tortellini soup is an easy weeknight dinner and is sure to become a monthly staple in your household over the next few months.
Why you’ll love this creamy tortellini soup
It’s made with hearty, inexpensive ingredients. This creamy tortellini soup is made with so many hearty ingredients like Italian sausage, refrigerated tortellini, kale, and more!
It’s a fast and easy recipe. After a long day at work, the last thing you probably want to do is stand over a hot stove for hours! This soup comes together in under 30 minutes and is so easy to make.
It’s comforting. Another soup that feels like a warm hug in the bowl… check!
To make this creamy tortellini soup recipe, you’ll need:
- Refrigerated tortellini – I find refrigerated tortellini to be the best for this recipe, but feel free to use frozen tortellini too. The cook time may take a few minutes more!
- Low sodium chicken broth – You can sub the chicken broth with vegetable broth, too. If you’re using tortellini with beef, feel free to use beef broth in place of both.
- Heavy cream – The heavy cream helps to make this tortellini soup creamy!
- Kale – A lot of recipes use fresh baby spinach, but I really like using fresh kale in my tortellini soup.
- Shallot & Garlic – Pretty much two must have ingredients for all good soup recipes (if you ask me).
- Ground sausage – A good Italian sausage is used in this creamy tortellini soup recipe. Spicy Italian sausage (or mild Italian sausage) works just as well (if not better).
- Tomato sauce – I loooove tomato sauce with my sausage tortellini soup – the flavor is amazing! You can also use some diced tomatoes or tomato paste.
- Flour – Helps to thicken the tortellini soup a bit more.
- Spices – You’ll want Italian seasoning as well as salt and pepper – but some red pepper flakes make a good addition to this sausage tortellini soup, too!
- Olive oil – Used when sautéing ingredients.
That’s all you need to make this delicious recipe!
If you’d like, you can top off your creamy tortellini soup with some grated parmesan cheese or fresh basil too.
As I said above, I really like using kale in place of fresh spinach in this recipe. I know that spinach tortellini soup is a favorite among many – so if that’s your jam keep on jammin’… but I would recommend trying kale with your creamy tortellini soup at least once in your life!
How to make creamy tortellini soup
Add the olive oil and ground Italian sausage to a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until browned, then add in the Italian seasoning, shallot, and minced garlic. Cook again until the shallots are translucent (about 3 minutes).
Add the flour and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the flour has toasted a bit. Then, add in the chicken broth and tomato sauce and stir.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cheese tortellini and cook for another 7 minutes (or until the tortellini has softened).
Next, add in the kale and cook until wilted, this should take two minutes or less.
Remove from heat and add in the heavy cream, followed by the salt and pepper. Taste, season more to your liking, and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions
How should I store my tortellini soup?
I typically store my creamy tortellini soup in the fridge for up to 4 days. Anything past that and it’ll get a bit too mushy for my liking.
Can I make this tortellini soup in a crock pot?
Yes! You’d follow the same steps for the most part, too. To make creamy tortellini soup in a crock pot, brown the Italian sausage, shallot, and garlic in a pan and add to the crockpot once cooked. Add all other ingredients except for the heavy cream, kale, and tortellini and cook on high for 4 hours.
Add the tortellini within the last 30 minutes and the heavy cream + kale before serving.
Can I freeze my creamy tortellini soup?
You can – but don’t add the fresh tortellini to the soup until you’re ready to serve.
Feel free to make the creamy soup base (AKA everything that goes into this tortellini soup before adding the cheese tortellini). Allow it to come to room temperature and store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
When you’re ready to serve the soup, heat over the stove and add in the tortellini, kale, and heavy cream as you typically would.Print
This creamy tortellini soup is filled with hearty ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes to make. It’s comforting and delicious!
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 25 Minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- 8 oz package of refrigerated tortellini
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup kale
- 1/4 cup flour
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Add the olive oil and ground Italian sausage to a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until browned, then add in the Italian seasoning, shallot, and minced garlic. Sauté until the shallots are translucent.
- Add the flour and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the flour has toasted a bit. Then, add in the chicken broth and tomato sauce and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cheese tortellini and cook for another 7 minutes (or until the tortellini has softened).
- Next, add in the kale and cook until wilted, this should take two minutes or less.
- Remove from heat and add in the heavy cream, followed by the salt and pepper. Taste, season more to your liking, and enjoy!