I’ll be the first to admit that I’m one of those people that likes a lot of sauce on my pizza. Store bought sauces are decent (especially Rao’s pizza sauce) but a lot of them lack the flavor I want in a good sauce. Which is why today, I’m going to share with you my all time favorite pizza sauce recipe!
What you need to make the best pizza sauce
You’d be surprised that it doesn’t take much to make a damn good pizza sauce! Here’s what I use:
- Canned whole tomatoes
- Freshly minced garlic cloves
- Dried spices
- Olive oil
While there are a few people out there who prefer canned diced tomatoes, I wholeheartedly feel like canned whole tomatoes taste better. To each their own though – use what you’d like (it’ll be blended up either way)!
How to make homemade pizza sauce
Combine all of your ingredients into a large sauce pan over the stove and cook on medium-high until the mixture starts to boil. Once this happens, grab an immersion blender and blend everything within the sauce pan.
Alternatively, you can put the pizza sauce mixture into a blender or a food processor and then pour it back into the sauce pan. Simmer until the pizza sauce is thickened and place your pizza sauce into a mason jar until you’re ready to make pizza! This sauce is good for a week in the fridge or up to three months in the freezer!Print
Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce
Forget store bought pizza sauce and make your own! It’s easy, takes no effort, and will leave your tastebuds singing.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 Minutes
- Yield: 3 Cups 1x
- 1 28 oz can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning
- 4 cloves fresh grated garlic
- Dash of salt and pepper
*Optional – fresh parsley
- Combine all ingredients into a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- Using an immersion blender, pulse until you get a smooth sauce. You can also pour the mixture into a food processor or blender to pulse.
- If you used a food processor or blender, pour the sauce back into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Use right away or store the pizza sauce a mason jar in the fridge for one week (or freeze for up to three months). Enjoy!