I know we’ve all heard of french toast… but have you heard of savory french toast?
This savory breakfast is a game changer (especially if you don’t have a big sweet tooth and can’t imagine eating a super sweet treat at breakfast time).
Why you’ll love this savory french toast recipe
It’s so easy to make. Whisk the egg mixture, dip in a slice of bread, and cook! Easy as can be.
Tons of flavor. Between the garlic and onion powder, freshly chopped parsley, and any additional toppings, you’ll be blown away at how much flavor this savory french toast has! It will most certainly grant you 5 stars from anyone who tries it!
Perfect if you’re not a sweet treat kind of person. Most of the time, french toast is super sweet. I know a few people that don’t have a very big sweet tooth – especially at breakfast time. With this savory french toast, you don’t have to worry about that!
To make this savory french toast, you’ll need:
- Bread of choice – I went with sourdough bread but whatever bread slices you have on hand will work just fine! French bread, challah bread, or white bread slices are all great. Even stale bread works!
- Eggs – For this savory french toast, I used 4 eggs. You want to make sure you have enough egg mixture for all of the french toast slices you plan on making!
- Milk – Used in the egg mixture.
- Parsley – While you could use dried parsley, I recommend using fresh. You’ll need quite a bit of it in the egg mixture (and you can even use it to garnish your savoury french toast).
- Seasonings – Apart from the salt and pepper, you’ll need garlic and onion powder!
- Olive oil – Used in the skillet to prevent the french toast from sticking!
That’s it! Simple, easy savory french toast is one of my favorite things to serve whenever I host a breakfast brunch with friends. It’s so easy to make & you can serve it with pretty much any other breakfast item (such as bacon, hash browns, sausage links, etc).
If you’d like to add something to the top of this savory french toast, I recommend a bit of parmesan cheese, avocado, a fried egg, or some arugula drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil.
I wouldn’t top this savory french toast with maple syrup myself… but you do you, boo.
How to make savory french toast
First, chop the parsley. I like to give it a rough chop (AKA I want small and large pieces of parsley on my savory french toast).
Add the eggs, milk, chopped parsley, and all seasonings to a shallow bowl and whisk together until well combined.
Add a bit of olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Return to the egg mixture.
Dip the bread in the egg mixture and coat for about 10 seconds per side. Place into your skillet and cook each side until golden brown (about 5 minutes or less). Flip and cook the other side for the same amount of time.
Remove from the skillet once cooked and serve immediately with any additional toppings you’d like and enjoy!
Feel free to top this savory french toast with some additional ground black pepper, salt, parmesan cheese, a fried egg, avocado, or more! You really can’t go wrong with the toppings (so long as you keep it savory).
Or, eat it with nothing on it! It’s just as good.
Frequently asked questions
Can I freeze french toast?
You can – and if you have leftovers, you should! French toast freezes beautifully.
To freeze your french toast, cook it as you normally would. Transfer to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely. Then, wrap it in a freezer-safe container.
When you’re ready to eat, toast your french toast slices until they’re hot. Enjoy!
How long does baked french toast last?
Your french toast should last up to three days in the fridge if kept in an airtight container. Frozen french toast will last up to a month.Print
The Best Savory French Toast Recipe
Tired of all the sweet breakfast options? This savory french toast will get you excited for breakfast again!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 15 Minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- 8 slices of bread
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP each: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- Add the eggs, milk, chopped parsley, and all seasonings to a shallow bowl and whisk vigorously until well combined.
- Add a bit of olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Return to the egg mixture.
- Coat each side of your bread slices in the egg mixture for about 10 seconds per side. Place into your skillet and cook each side until golden brown (about 5 minutes or less). Flip and cook the other side for the same amount of time. Repeat until all bread slices are cooked.
- Remove from the skillet once cooked and serve immediately with any additional toppings you’d like and enjoy!