Nothing says “Spring is coming” quite like lemon poppy seed muffins!
There are a lot of bland muffins out there, but these muffins are bursting with bright citrus flavor and are topped with a delicious lemon crumble topping.
For the lemon poppy seed muffins, you’ll need:
- All purpose flour
- Lemon juice
- One egg
- Poppy seeds
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Lemon zest
For the optional crumb topping, you’ll need:
- All purpose flour
- Cold butter
- Lemon zest
Feel free to swap the yogurt for butter milk! In this recipe, I used 3/4th cup of yogurt – if you plan on swapping, you’ll need to use 3/4 cups of buttermilk! It’s a 1:1 ratio 🙂
How to make lemon poppy seed muffins
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease your muffin tins. Or, line them with some cupcake liners!
In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and poppy seeds. Set this bowl to the side and work on the wet ingredients.
Grab another medium sized mixing bowl and whisk the yogurt, melted butter, lemon juice, egg, vanilla extract, and lemon zest until combined. Then, add your wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently fold until just combined.
To make the crumb topping, add the flour, sugar, lemon zest, and cold butter to a small bowl. Using a fork, combine the butter with the dry ingredients until a crumbly mixture has formed.
Scoop the batter into your prepared muffin tins and fill to the top. Add the crumb topping and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and enjoy!
Delicious tip: Serving these lemon poppy seed muffins with a bit of butter is heavenly.
How to properly store muffins
While these lemon poppy seed muffins taste best the day they’re made, you are able to store them!
I’d recommend storing them in an airtight container on the counter and eating them within 3 days.
You could also freeze these muffins for up to 3 months!
Tips on how to make the best lemon poppy seed muffins
Use fresh lemon juice to get the best lemon flavor. I cannot recommend this enough! While lemon extract does work, there’s nothing quite as tasty as freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Don’t over mix your muffin batter. Over mixing muffin batter leads to tough muffins – and no one wants that! Don’t worry about seeing a few streaks of flour in your batter!
Use a thicker yogurt for these muffins. Using skyr is a great option! Plain yogurt is far too runny and adds more moisture to your batter which will make the muffins spread out more than puff up!Print
The Best Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Nothing says “Spring is coming” quite like these lemon poppy seed muffins! These muffins are bursting with bright citrus flavor and are topped with a delicious lemon crumble.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
For the muffins:
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups yogurt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP poppy seeds
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- 1/2 TBSP baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Zest from 1 lemon
For the optional crumble topping:
- 4 TBSP all purpose flour
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 3 TBSP cold butter
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease your muffin tins. I typically don’t use cupcake liners for muffins – but if you’d like to use them, insert them into an ungreased muffin tin pan.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds in a medium sized bowl. Set to the side for now.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the yogurt, melted butter, lemon juice, egg, vanilla extract, and lemon zest until combined. Add your wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently fold until just combined. Set to the side and make the crumb topping.
- In a small bowl, add all crumb topping ingredients. Using a fork, combine the butter with the dry ingredients until a crumbly mixture has formed.
- Scoop the batter into your prepared muffin tin and fill to the top. Add the crumb topping and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!!