The only thing I like more than chocolate chip cookies is this chocolate chip skillet cookie 🤩
With chewy cookie dough, plenty of chocolate chips that melt in your mouth, and ice cream on top – what more could you want?!
Why you’re going to love this chocolate chip skillet cookie
It’s crispy and chewy! I love cookies that are soft on the inside and a bit crunchy on the outside. This skillet cookie checks literally both of those boxes.
You can bake it in any oven safe pan! If you don’t have a cast iron skillet (which I highly recommend grabbing one – they’re amazing), you can use any oven safe pan. Keep in mind that the cast iron pan helps to get that crisp exterior, you won’t have as much luck with every oven safe pan.
It’s so much easier than making tons of little cookies! Rather than scooping out tons of little cookie dough balls, this is a one and done recipe! Mix everything in one bowl, transfer the batter into a cast iron, bake, serve, and enjoy!
- All-purpose flour
- Chocolate chips
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla bean paste
- Baking soda
- Optional – Ice cream & flaky sea salt for serving
This chocolate chip skillet cookie has taken a bit of time for me to nail – and I’m finally so incredibly happy with the results! I personally wouldn’t swap out any of the ingredients listed above for something else, but feel free to modify it how you see fit!
Pro tip: Adding nuts to the batter is delicious, but not recommended! It adds a bit more crunch which is nice but not always wanted.
How to make a chocolate chip skillet cookie
Before anything – Place your eggs and butter on the counter to reach room temperature before moving further! This should take about 30 minutes ◡̈
The first thing you’ll need to do is preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease your cast iron skillet with butter. If you’re after a good cast iron skillet, this is the one that I’ve had for years and I absolutely love it!
In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and both sugars together. Then beat the eggs in one at a time, followed by the vanilla bean paste. By this point, your cookie dough mixture should be nice and creamy!
Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt and beat until just combined. At this point, you’re ready to add in the chocolate chips! I recommend folding them into the cookie dough mixture with a rubber spatula.
Spread the cookie dough into your prepared skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Keep in mind that the cookie will continue baking after you take it out of the oven! If you’re after a more gooey cookie, I’d take the cookie out of the oven at the 18-20 minute mark.
Let the cookie cool for about 10-15 minutes and then place some vanilla ice cream on top and enjoy!
Have leftovers? Here’s how to store them!
Sometimes our eyes are bigger than our stomachs… meaning you’ll most likely have leftovers after making this chocolate chip skillet cookie (unless you’re sharing it with friends, that is)!
If you didn’t place ice cream on top of your skillet cookie, it can be wrapped in tin foil and is able to last about 2-3 days on the counter.
If you did place ice cream on top of your skillet cookie, I recommend wrapping it in tin foil and setting it in the fridge for 2-3 days.Print
The Best Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
This chocolate chip skillet cookie is what dreams are made of! It’s crispy and chewy and can be made in any oven safe pan!
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 Hour
- Yield: 8 Slices 1x
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (two sticks) butter, softened
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 TSP vanilla bean paste
- 1 TSP baking soda
- 1/2 TSP salt
- Optional – Flaky salt for serving
- Before anything – Place your eggs and butter on the counter to reach room temperature before moving further! This should take 30 minutes ◡̈
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease your skillet with butter.
- Beat the butter and both sugars in a large mixing bowl until combined. Then, beat the eggs in one at a time and then the vanilla bean paste. At this point, your mixture should be creamy.
- Gently beat in the flour, baking soda, and salt to the butter mixture and then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the cookie dough into the prepared skillet and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow your cookie to cool for about 5-10 minutes. Feel free to add some flaky salt to the top of your cookie!
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or some hot fudge and enjoy!
Prep time includes the time needed for the eggs to reach room temperature (about 30 minutes).