Growing up, sweet potato casserole was one of my favorite side dishes at any holiday party. I remember being scolded a bit for taking too much but… how could you not?!
Whether you want to make this for yourself or share it with a special someone, this sweet potato casserole for two is for you.
Why you’ll love this sweet potato casserole recipe
It’s easy to make. Simply mix ingredients together, place in a baking dish, and bake! Easy peasy.
The flavors are perfect for fall. Between the nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger the flavor profile shouts “Autumn”. It’s the perfect dish to make around this time of year!
You can make this sweet potato casserole ahead of time. This sweet potato casserole can be made a day or two in advance!
To make this sweet potato casserole, you’ll need:
- Sweet potatoes – Well, duh! You can’t really make a sweet potato casserole without sweet potatoes. Because this is a sweet potato casserole recipe for two – you only need one sweet potato. Though, this recipe can be scaled up (in which case, you’d need about two to three sweet potatoes to make this casserole).
- Eggs – Again, because this is a recipe for two, you only need one egg in this sweet potato casserole!
- Brown sugar – You could use white, granulated sugar but I love the flavor that dark brown sugar brings to this dish.
- Caramel bits – My secret ingredient! Adding teeny, tiny bits of caramel to this sweet potato casserole is a game changer. They are optional buuuut highly recommended!
- Mini marshmallows – I love topping my sweet potato casserole off with some marshmallows.
- Spices – I use ground cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in my sweet potato casserole! The flavors make this sweet potato casserole shine.
If you’d like, you can add some chopped pecans to the top of your sweet potato casserole too!
While I wouldn’t personally use canned sweet potatoes in this recipe, you can if you have them on hand! It doesn’t take too long to boil sweet potatoes which is what I’ll typically do – but canned sweet potatoes will definitely save a bit of time!
A lot of people use a bit of melted butter when mashing their sweet potatoes, but I don’t think it’s needed! Also, feel free to use 1/2 cup of applesauce in place of the egg needed for this sweet potato casserole!
How to make a sweet potato casserole for two
First, boil your sweet potato until fork tender. Let cool until you’re able to handle it and then peel the skin off. Place into a large bowl and, with a fork or a potato masher, mash the sweet potato.
Note: I’ll typically boil my sweet potatoes with the skin on, but you can peel and dice your sweet potatoes before boiling.
Add the spices, caramel bits, brown sugar, and egg to the mashed sweet potatoes and stir well. Then, place your sweet potato mixture into a small baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven, cover the sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, and bake again for another 10-15 minutes (or until the mini marshmallows are gooey and golden brown.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions
Can I freeze sweet potato casserole?
Yes! Bake without marshmallows and freeze for up to three months. When you’re ready to serve, allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge, then top with your marshmallows and bake until golden brown!
How do I store sweet potato casserole?
If you happen to have leftovers, cover in saran wrap and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Keep in mind that overtime, the marshmallows will dissolve into the cooked sweet potatoes! No need to add more, but feel free to!
Can I make this sweet potato casserole ahead of time?
Yes! If you want to make this simple sweet potato casserole ahead of time follow the instructions down below until step three (AKA – bake it without marshmallows).
When you’re ready to serve your sweet potato casserole, warm it in the oven for about 25 minutes and then top with marshmallows and bake for 10 minutes.
There’s no harm in making this sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and then letting it sit, of course! The marshmallows will dissolve into the sweet potato mixture overtime and if you add more to it, your sweet potato casserole much sweeter than you might like it!
How do I reheat sweet potato casserole?
Simply cover with foil and warm in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes.Print
Sweet Potato Casserole for Two
This sweet potato casserole is one of the easiest side dishes to make around the holidays! Feel free to share with a friend or keep it for yourself – no judgement here!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Time Spent Boiling: 30
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 1 Hour & 15 Minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 2 TBSP caramel bits
- 1 TSP each: nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground ginger
- Handful of mini marshmallows for topping
- First, boil your sweet potato until fork tender. Let cool until you’re able to handle it and then peel the skin off. Place into a large bowl and, with a fork or a potato masher, mash the sweet potato.
- Add the spices, caramel bits, brown sugar, and egg to the mashed sweet potatoes and stir well. Then, place your sweet potato mixture into a small baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, then cover the sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and bake again for another 10-15 minutes (or until the mini marshmallows are gooey and golden brown.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Cook time includes time spent before and after mini marshmallows are added!