If you like chocolate covered strawberries, you’re going to love this strawberry hot chocolate!
The flavors you get within this drink are almost out of this world. It truly feels like you’re straight up drinking a chocolate covered strawberry… but, better?
Why you’ll love this strawberry hot chocolate
Perfect for Valentine’s Day! Listennnnn I love a good chocolate covered strawberry just as much as the next person, but they can get a bit repetitive. This strawberry hot chocolate recipe is a great way to switch things up a bit.
Creamy and delicious! Between the hot chocolate in general and the marshmallow fluff… you’ve got yourself one creamy and delicious drink!
So easy to make! The only thing you’re really doing different with this strawberry hot chocolate recipe is adding freeze dried strawberries to the pot as the chocolate melts… so yeah, this recipe is easy as pie.
To make this strawberry hot chocolate, you’ll need:
- Ghirardelli chocolate bar – My all time favorite chocolate when it comes to making hot chocolate at home. It tastes delicious and is packed with flavor.
- Ghirardelli 100% cocoa powder – Similar to the Ghirardelli chocolate bar, their 100% cocoa powder is perfect for hot chocolate (among other baked goods).
- Milk – I use full fat Oatly whenever I make hot chocolate at home. I’m not a huge whole milk girl and this is the closest thing I’ve found that gives off that creamy consistency.
- Freeze dried strawberries – While you can use strawberry puree, fresh (or frozen strawberries), strawberry milk, or strawberry nesquick… I’ve found that crushed, freeze dried strawberries get the job done perfectly!
- Marshmallow fluff – Is this controversial? I don’t think so. It’s thick, lasts longer than whipped cream (and marshmallows) and adds more flavor to your hot chocolate.
That’s ittttttt! Making this strawberry hot chocolate doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and, for the most part, I’m willing to guess you have almost all of them in your fridge + pantry right now.
Optional toppings (apart from marshmallow fluff, of course) are whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate sauce… whatever you’d like to top your hoot cocoa off with!
How to make strawberry hot chocolate
Chop the chocolate bar into bite sized pieces and crush up the freeze dried strawberries in a food processor.
Then add the chocolate, freeze dried strawberries, milk, and cocoa powder to a medium sized sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until the chocolate has fully melted and you’re left with a smooth liquid.
Pour into a cup and top with some marshmallow fluff and additional freeze dried strawberries and enjoy!!
Frequently asked questions
How can I make a strawberry white hot chocolate?
The steps will stay the same with just a few tweaks to the ingredients used. Instead of dark (or milk) chocolate, you’ll use white chocolate (or even, white chocolate chips).
If you’re after a more pink hot chocolate look, use a bit of fresh strawberry puree to the white chocolate mixture while it’s heating in addition to the freeze dried strawberries. I’d also maybe add in a bit of vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste) for some additional flavor. It’ll taste delicious either way, though!
Also… yes, strawberry milk can be used instead of white milk (and frozen strawberries can be used in the drink, too). Enjoy your strawberry white hot chocolate with your toppings of choice.
What else can I use to top off my hot chocolate?
Not a fan of marshmallow fluff? Feel free to use whipped cream or some mini marshmallows instead!
Do I need to use freeze dried strawberries?
You don’t, but I do recommend using them because they are SO flavorful and when crushed (and heated) they dissolve along with the cocoa powder.
Feel free to use fresh strawberries, frozen strawberries, strawberry puree, strawberry milk, or even strawberry nesquick!!
Can I use hot cocoa mix instead of powder?
You can! Hot cocoa packs do have added sugar in them however – so it may taste a bit sweeter than if you make it without.
Hot cocoa bombs also have more sugar! Just depends on what you want the overall drink to taste like 🙂Print
Strawberry Hot Chocolate
Have you ever wanted to drink a chocolate covered strawberry? If so, this strawberry hot chocolate is for you! It’s creamy, delicious, and so easy to make.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 15 Minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries, chopped
- 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1 Ghirardelli chocolate bar, chopped
- Marshmallow fluff + additional freeze dried strawberries for topping
- Chop the chocolate bar into bite sized pieces and crush up the freeze dried strawberries in a food processor.
- Then add the chocolate, freeze dried strawberries, milk, and cocoa powder to a medium sized sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until the chocolate has fully melted and you’re left with a smooth liquid.
- Pour into a cup and top with some marshmallow fluff and additional freeze dried strawberries and enjoy!!