There’s nothing quite like sipping on some hot chocolate when December rolls around. Whether you’re out shopping for gifts, decorating the house, or wrapping presents, this orange hot chocolate will get you right into the holiday mood!
This recipe is incredibly special to me, as my grandma would always get me one of those Terry’s Orange Chocolate Balls before Christmas. The flavors you find in this hot chocolate are so similar to the orange chocolate balls I grew up eating and I can’t wait to share it with you!
Correct measurements can be found at the bottom of the post, as always!
- Dark chocolate bar, cut into pieces
- Vanilla bean paste
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Milk of your choice (I personally love oat milk!)
- Juice from one orange
Some optional additions include whipped cream, extra pieces of chocolate, and orange zest!
How to make orange hot chocolate
First, grab your chocolate bar and cut it into small pieces. For this recipe, I used a Ghirardelli dark chocolate bar but any type of chocolate works! Once you’ve cut the chocolate bar into pieces, add the chocolate to a saucepan over medium heat along with the milk, making sure to whisk frequently.
While you wait for the chocolate to melt, juice your orange. I find that if you gently press and roll the orange on the counter a few times before juicing it, you get more juice to leave the fruit! If you don’t have an orange squeezer, you can slice the orange into pieces and squeeze the juice out that way. Whatever works best for you!
Once you see that the chocolate has melted into the milk, bring the heat down to low and whisk all other ingredients to the sauce pan. After the cocoa powder has dissolved, you’re able to serve the orange hot chocolate immediately!
Feel free to top off your hot chocolate with whipped cream, orange zest, and chocolate chips! It makes this orange hot chocolate drink that much better.Print
Rich and Creamy Orange Hot Chocolate
This rich and creamy orange hot chocolate will put you right in the Christmas spirit!
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 15 Minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- 4 cups oat milk
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate (chocolate chips work, too)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Juice from one orange
- 1 TSP vanilla bean paste
- Chop your chocolate bar into small pieces and add 1/2 cup to a saucepan with the oat milk. Whisk over medium heat until the chocolate has melted.
- In the meantime, juice your orange. Once you see that the chocolate has melted into the milk, turn the heat to low and add all other ingredients.
- Whisk well and once the unsweetened cocoa powder has dissolved, serve immediately! Top with whipped cream, orange zest, and extra chocolate pieces if you’d like and enjoy!
* I find that if you gently press and roll the orange on the counter a few times before juicing it, you get more juice to leave the fruit! If you don’t have an orange squeezer, you can slice the orange into pieces and squeeze the juice out that way. Whatever works best for you!