I am a huge pumpkin lover. Pumpkin spiced coffees, pumpkin pie, pumpkin butter… the list could go on and on! To keep it short and sweet for you today, allow me to introduce your new favorite pumpkin treat:
Pumpkin butter shortbread bars.
I could not be happier with how this recipe turned out! These shortbread bars taste like mini pumpkin pies and are so easy to make. Not to mention, you only need a few ingredients to make these!
Ingredients needed to make pumpkin butter shortbread bars
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pumpkin butter
- Vanilla bean paste
- Pinch of salt
* Correct measurements are at the bottom of the post ◡̈
If you don’t have any vanilla bean paste on hand, you could use vanilla extract! Same goes for the pumpkin butter, too. I made my own pumpkin butter for these shortbread bars, but if you want to buy some from the store to save time, it’s no problem at all! Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, it’s time to bake!
How to make pumpkin butter shortbread bars
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8 x 8 baking tray with parchment paper. While the oven is preheating, use a stand mixer (with the paddle attachment) to combine the flour, butter, sugar, and vanilla bean paste for about three minutes. The mixture is supposed to be crumbly here – don’t worry!
Grab the baking tray and add a little more than half of your shortbread dough. Press down with the underside of a measuring up (or your hands). The mixture should no longer be crumbly at this point!
Next, add your pumpkin butter to the pan. Make sure you add a decent amount, you’re after a thick, even layer here! Once added, sprinkle the rest of your shortbread dough onto the pumpkin butter. As as little or as much here!
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until you see the shortbread on top turning golden brown. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool before cutting into them.
I cannot stress that step enough – these bars can be very fragile and when they’re super hot (or even a little bit warm), they could break. Once cool, cut them however you’d like and enjoy!
Pumpkin Butter Shortbread Bars
These pumpkin butter shortbread bars taste just like pumpkin pie and take half the time to make!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup (two sticks) butter
- 1 cup pumpkin butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 TSP vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8 x 8 baking tray with parchment paper. Set to the side.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine all ingredients (except the pumpkin butter) and mix until the dough comes together. Keep in mind that this is a crumbly dough!
- Add most of the shortbread dough to the prepared baking tray and press down gently with the bottom of a measuring cup (or your hands) to set the dough. Add the pumpkin butter to the shortbread and spread until you have a thick, even layer. Then, add the remaining shortbread mix to the top of the pumpkin butter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until you see the shortbread on top turning golden brown. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool before cutting into them!
These bars are very fragile and when they’re super hot (or even a little bit warm), and can break easily. Make sure that they’re cooled completely before cutting into them!