This pizza grilled cheese recipe is going to change the way you look at grilled cheese sandwiches.
I’m a big pizza lover – and while I’ve never really been to fond of a plain grilled cheese, these sandwiches have completely changed my mind!
I’m so excited to share this recipe and hope that you love it as much as I do!
Why you’ll love this pizza grilled cheese
It takes no time to make – When was the last time you made pizza in under 7 minutes? My guess? Never (at least that was my answer)!
You can fully customize this grilled cheese. While I’m a fan of pepperoni pizza, you can really put anything into this grilled cheese! Peppers, olives, shredded chicken… you name it!
It’s something everyone will enjoy! This recipe is picky kid approved – especially if you call these sandwiches mini pizzas!
To make these pizza grilled cheese sandwiches, you’ll need:
- Bread – I used sourdough bread for my pizza grilled cheese, but feel free to use what you have available! Using garlic bread is also a good call, too!
- Mozzarella cheese – If you ask me, mozzarella cheese is the best cheese for a classic grilled cheese sandwich (as well as a classic pizza). Parmesan cheese can also be used, but I’d add it along with the mozzarella cheese (AKA, don’t just use parmesan cheese).
- Pepperoni slices – This is totally optional, but I’m a sucker for pepperoni pizza and knew I wanted my pizza grilled cheese recipe to have pepperoni!
- Butter – If you want to get that golden brown classic sandwich, you need to spread a bit of butter on each side of your grilled cheese! Olive oil works, too.
- Marinara – Used primarily for dipping. This is optional too but what’s pizza without a little pizza sauce?
And that’s really it!
Tip – While a pizza grilled cheese sandwich is great on it’s own, they’re also amazing with some tomato soup!
How to make a good pizza grilled cheese
The key to make a good, golden brown pizza grilled cheese sandwich is by buttering the bread. You only need to butter one side of each bread slice (the side that’s going to be touching the skillet). You can use plain, softened butter alone or make a butter mixture!
If you’d like to make your own butter mixture, combine some garlic powder with the softened butter to make a garlic butter. Adding a bit of Italian seasoning is delicious too!
Add the bread (butter side down) to a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Then add the mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and some additional cheese. Then place the other slice of bread on top. Make sure that the butter side is facing outward.
Cook on each side for four to five minutes or until the cheese is melty. Remove from heat and enjoy with a side of pizza sauce!
Frequently asked questions
Have a question not answered below? Leave a comment and I’ll do my best to answer it!
How long should I keep my leftover pizza grilled cheese sandwich?
These sandwiches don’t really last for a long time in the fridge.
At most, you can keep them in an airtight container for up to 24 hours. To reheat your pizza grilled cheese, pop it into an air fryer at 350 degrees for about three minutes or warm it over the stove in a skillet pan for the same amount of time.
What other toppings am I able to use on this pizza grilled cheese?
You can use pretty much any topping you’d like! Here are a few favorites of mine:
- Bacon bits
- Shredded chicken
The list could go on and on! Think about what you like on a pizza in general, and stuff it into your grilled cheese!Print
Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
If you’ve ever craved pizza but don’t want to order take out, this pizza grilled cheese sandwich is for you! These are fully customizable and so delicious!
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Total Time: 10 Minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings 1x
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni – as much as you’d like!
- 4 TBSP softened butter
- 1 cup marinara (optional, for dipping)
- Start by buttering one side of each slice of bread. It helps if you have softened butter!
- Add the bread (butter side down) to a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Then add the mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and some additional cheese. Then place the other slice of bread on top. Make sure that the butter side is facing outward.
- Cook on each side for four to five minutes or until the cheese is melty. Remove from heat and enjoy with a side of pizza sauce!