This mediterranean chickpea salad will quickly become one of your favorite chickpea salad recipes out there!
The flavors are fresh, it’s super customizable, and it’s perfect for meal prep! Serve as a main dish or as a side dish – either way, you’ll love it!!
Why you’ll love this mediterranean chickpea salad
Healthy and filling. Chickpeas are super high in fiber as well as protein which means they’ll keep you full for longer!
Perfect for meal prep. This chickpea salad recipe can last up to six days in the fridge and tastes just as good as the day you made it!
Customizable. This recipe is super customizable! Feel free to add in any fresh herbs, grape tomatoes, grilled chicken… truly anything you’d like!
To make this mediterranean chickpea salad (AKA garbanzo bean salad), you’ll need:
- Persian cucumbers – Gives a nice crunch and helps to freshen up your chickpea salad.
- Red onion – Any onion works, but red onion is my favorite to use in this mediterranean chickpea salad.
- Chickpeas (AKA garbanzo beans) – For this mediterranean chickpea salad, I used dried chickpeas that I soaked in water over night. Canned chickpeas tend to be pretty mushy and, when you’re meal prepping, you want to make sure your ingredients don’t automatically start out a bit mushier than you’d like!
- Bell peppers – Crisp, colorful, and bright peppers in every bite is a must! I use a mixture of red, orange, and green bell peppers.
- Olives – Kalamata olives are traditional, but I love all olives and I’ll throw in pretty much whatever type of olive I have on hand.
- Parsley – Flat leaf or curly parsley does the trick.
- Seasonings – I used kosher salt, pepper, and some red pepper flakes for a bit of added heat.
- Homemade citrus balsamic vinaigrette – This dressing has extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, honey, and more! It’s truly the best dressing to top off all of your healthy salad recipes, especially this chickpea salad!
Super basic and simple ingredients, most of which you already have in your fridge/pantry!
Feel free to add in some cherry tomatoes, feta (or goat) cheese, roasted red peppers, lemon juice, or a few more fresh herbs too.
How to make this mediterranean chickpea salad recipe
First, soak some dried chickpeas overnight. Rinse and drain the chickpeas and add to a large bowl.
Note: You can use canned chickpeas in this mediterranean chickpea salad, but I really don’t like how mushy they are – they’re great if you’re in a rush though.
Chop the cucumbers, bell peppers, red onion, and parsley then add to a large bowl along with the chickpeas. Add in the olives, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes then toss to combine.
Next, drizzle some citrus balsamic vinaigrette over the salad and toss again. Serve immediately or let it chill in the fridge for an hour before eating. The longer it sits the better (which is why leftovers are so freaking good).
I mean… just look at those colors!
This vegan chickpea salad recipe is literally sunshine in a large bowl. Feel free to serve chickpea salad as a side or main dish and enjoy.
Fun chickpea salad variations
Apart from adding additional ingredients, there are a few fun ways to make this mediterranean chickpea salad even more delicious.
The first, and one of my favorites, is to add roasted chickpeas to your easy mediterranean chickpea salad. If you’re a fan of texture, this may be the best thing for you to do! Between the crisp cucumber and crispy chickpeas… you’ll be in heaven!
Frequently asked questions
Can I make the mediterranean chickpea salad vegan?
TBH, my mediterranean chickpea salad recipe is already vegan because I don’t care for feta cheese. You can sub the “regular” feta cheese with a vegan alternative or leave it out altogether!
How can I store the mediterranean chickpea salad?
Store your mediterranean chickpea salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Can I prepare the salad ahead of time?
Of course! Feel free to prepare the salad ahead of time by chopping the vegetables and making the vinaigrette, and then refrigerate them until you’re ready to assemble the salad.
What are some creative ways to serve the mediterranean chickpea salad?
Serve your mediterranean chickpea salad with some chicken, on a bed of leafy greens, stuff it into a bell pepper, or serve with some tzatziki and homemade pita chips!
Looking for more healthy salad recipes?
I’ve got you covered! Here are some of my favorites:Print
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
This mediterranean chickpea salad is the ultimate salad out there. Fresh herbs, veggies, and a bright citrus vinaigrette… what more could you ask for?
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Soaking chickpeas: 12 Hours, or Overnight
- Total Time: 10 Minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- 2 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 Persian cucumbers
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup olives
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 TSP each: salt, pepper, and red flakes
- Homemade citrus balsamic vinaigrette
- First, soak some dried chickpeas overnight. Rinse and drain the chickpeas and add to a large bowl.
- Chop the cucumbers, bell peppers, red onion, and parsley then add to a large bowl along with the chickpeas. Add in the olives, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes then toss to combine.
- Next, drizzle some citrus balsamic vinaigrette over the salad and toss again. Serve immediately or let it chill in the fridge for an hour before eating. The longer it sits the better!
Because you don’t need to soak the chickpeas and can use canned, I have the total time listed at 10 minutes! However, if you do soak them, this recipe can take up to 12 hours or longer.