Can someone please tell me whyyyyy the caramel brûlée latte from Starbucks isn’t on the drink menu all year? UGH I am obsessed with it – to the point where I’ve decided to recreate my own version.
That’s right babes, today I’ve got one of the tastiest latte drinks out there for ya! It’s super simple to make and can be made hot or iced (I’m a huge iced coffee / iced latte person, soooo I needed to make sure the recipe would work both ways).
Also, I got a bit fancy with the little “bits” on top and decided to make my own toffee specifically for this drink… do with that what you will, but it only takes an hour and the candy can be used in more ways than one… you’re welcome 😉
- Steamed milk
- Caramel Sauce (homemade or store bought)
- Vanilla bean paste
- * Optional – Toffee bits & whipped cream
I know I said it’s optional buuuuuut, I don’t recommend skipping the toffee bits and whipped cream. Especially when homemade toffee is soooo freaking easy to make!! I mean, who wouldn’t want this mouthwatering toffee?!
Pro tip – If you don’t have an espresso maker feel free to use a strong dark roast coffee in place of espresso. The taste will be a little different of course, but still delicious!
How do I make steamed milk?
There are a few ways to do this, none necessarily better than the other. It all depends on what you have in the moment!
Option one – If you have an espresso machine at home, it most likely came with a steam wand and a small metal pitcher. Simply pour some milk into the small metal pitcher, place the pitcher under the steam wand, and engage the steam output.
You’ll need to keep the steam wand near the side of the pitcher and create a sort of vortex within the milk. Move the wand up and down to incorporate the air into the milk and when you notice that the milk has doubled in size (and has plenty of bubbles) remove the steam wand and pour the milk into the cup you plan on using for your latte.
If you’re looking for a good espresso machine, here’s what I recommend:
- Breville Barista Express Espresso Machine – this is the one I have and I absolutely LOVE it.
- Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine with Milk Frother – I’ve used this at a few of my friends houses and, if I didn’t already have my Breville espresso machine, I’d 100% buy this one. Bonus – this machine comes with a milk frother, too!
This method is great if you want to try your hand at latte art, but if you plan on putting whipped cream & toffee bits on top, that doesn’t really matter here!
Option two – Grab a milk frother! There are two really good ones I’d recommend grabbing:
- 4-in-1 Instant Milk Frother – allows you to create various types of foam (hot, cold, etc).
- Zulay Milk Frother – A cheaper, electric whisk that instantly froths milk.
Both essentially do the same thing – however, the instant milk frother allows you to create cold or hot foam within it. You can also fill this milk frother a bit more as there’s more room to work with within the pot itself.
Option three – Froth your milk over the stovetop! This is the easiest method and only requires a saucepan and a whisk. For this method, you’ll be adding both the caramel sauce and milk to a sauce pan and whisking it until it starts to froth. While this is the easiest method, it can take a bit more time.
How to make a caramel brûlée latte
Depending on how you’re going to steam your milk, there are a few ways you can make this latte. For simplicity, I’ll be explaining how to make the latte with method number three – over the stovetop with a saucepan and whisk.
If you plan on making my homemade salted toffee bits for this latte, do that first (here’s the recipe again). Also, I highly recommend making your own caramel sauce for this latte, too! It’s so easy to make and look at how gorgeous it is:
In a saucepan over medium heat, add the caramel sauce and milk and simmer. Then, add the vanilla bean paste and whisk until the milk mixture is frothy. Immediately pour the milk mixture into your coffee mug and add the espresso.
Top with whipped cream and your toffee bits and enjoy!Print
Caramel Brûlée Latte (Starbucks Copycat)
Never wait for the holiday season to roll around to enjoy this caramel brûlée latte again! This homemade latte will satisfy your cravings all year long.
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 Minutes
- Yield: 2 Lattes 1x
- 2 cups milk
- 2 – 4 shots espresso (depending on how strong you want your latte)
- 2–3 TBSP caramel sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 1 TSP vanilla bean paste
- Whipped cream for serving
- Toffee bits for serving (homemade or store bought)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the caramel sauce and milk and simmer. Then, add the vanilla bean paste and whisk until the milk mixture is frothy.
- Immediately pour the milk mixture into your coffee mug and add the espresso. Top with whipped cream and your toffee bits and enjoy!