Listen, I love a good buffalo chicken dip just as much as the next person buuuuut… this easy buffalo chicken soup is currently my go to appetizer/meal. Made primarily in the crockpot and with almost no hands on time, this soup is the perfect lazy girl (or guy) meal!
If you’re after a creamy soup with a lingering buffalo chicken flavor, you’ve found it.
Why you’ll love this buffalo chicken soup recipe
An easy slow cooker soup recipe. This buffalo chicken soup is made primarily in a crock pot! It’s an incredibly simple “hands off” recipe.
It’s got plenty of spice. The buffalo sauce is the star of the show in this buffalo chicken soup (duh)! Because of this, I highly recommend you use your favorite hot sauce.
It’s perfect for meal prep. Even if you’re tempted to eat all of this buffalo chicken soup at once, I urge you to save some for leftovers. I’d argue that leftover buffalo chicken soup is just as good as the day it’s made.
To make this creamy buffalo chicken soup recipe, you’ll need:
- Chicken – For this buffalo chicken soup recipe, I used two large chicken breasts. You can swap the chicken breasts with rotisserie chicken, but make sure you read the recipe notes down below if you make a swap with shredded chicken! Chicken thighs work too.
- Chicken broth – The chicken broth gives this buffalo chicken soup more of a chicken flavor – but you can substitute it with vegetable broth if you’d like! Chicken stock works too.
- Buffalo sauce – Use your favorite buffalo sauce for this buffalo chicken soup recipe! The buffalo flavor is going to shine more than anything else, so make sure you use your favorite buffalo wing sauce!
- Cream cheese & Heavy cream – The cream cheese and heavy cream is what makes this buffalo chicken soup creamy. You can use reduced fat cream cheese if you’d like, too.
- Chili beans – Optional, but I love to add chili beans to my buffalo chicken soup.
- Vegetables – I used celery, shallot, and garlic in my buffalo chicken soup!
- Cilantro & Green Onions – Added at the end for a bit of flavor!
- Olive oil – Used to sauté the veggies in the slow cooker.
Topping this buffalo chicken soup with crumbled blue cheese, cheddar cheese, or more hot sauce, is also recommended! I am not the biggest fan of blue cheese crumbles (or really any type of cheese in my buffalo chicken soup) so I typically enjoy it without cheese!
Feel free to also top this soup with spicy pepper sauce for additional spice!
How to make buffalo chicken soup
First, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and celery, sauté until both are translucent. This should only take about 10 minutes. Around the 10 minute mark, add in the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
While the veggies are sautéing, place the chicken, buffalo sauce, and chicken broth into the slow cooker. Add the veggies to the slow cooker, stir well, and cook for 4 hours on high.
After the 4 hour mark, put your slow cooker in the “keep warm” mode. Remove the chicken breasts and shred. Then, add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and add in the cream cheese.
When the cream cheese has melted into the buffalo chicken soup, add in the heavy cream and stir until smooth. Top with cilantro and green onion and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions
How long does buffalo chicken soup last?
If stored in an airtight container, your buffalo chicken soup should last for 5 days in the fridge.
Can I freeze this buffalo chicken soup?
Make sure you cool the buffalo chicken soup to room temperature and then pour it into individual ziploc freezer bags. Keep in the freezer for up to 6 months!
When you’re ready to eat your buffalo chicken soup, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and heat on the stove until warm.
Is there a way I can thicken my buffalo chicken soup?
Add about 2 TBSP of flour (or cornstarch) along with 2 TBSP liquid from the soup to make a slurry.
I almost feel like this buffalo chicken soup would be more like a chili if thickened too much, though.
How spicy is buffalo chicken soup?
That really depends on the buffalo sauce you use. If you typically like a really hot sauce, you’re going to be left with a pretty hot soup.
The cream cheese (and optional bleu cheese) do “calm” the heat down a bit, but not much.
Should I cook the chicken before adding it to the crockpot?
I typically don’t! I place my raw chicken into the crockpot and leave it to cook.
However, you can purchase rotisserie chicken (or add pre cooked shredded chicken) to your buffalo chicken soup towards the end of the cook time. Though, if you were to do this, I’m not sure a crock pot would be needed – you can warm everything over the stove and then just add in the shredded chicken!Print
Buffalo Chicken Soup
If you love buffalo sauce and all things spicy, you’re going to love this buffalo chicken soup. It’s the perfect spicy soup for a chilly fall or winter day and is fairly customizable!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 4 Hours
- Total Time: 4 Hours and 10 Minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 can chili beans
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- Optional – Cilantro & green onion for garnish
- First, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and celery, sauté until both are translucent. Then, add in the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- While the veggies are sautéing, place the chicken, buffalo sauce, and chicken broth into the slow cooker. Add the veggies to the slow cooker, stir well, and cook for 4 hours on high.
- After the 4 hour mark, put your slow cooker in the “keep warm” mode. Remove the chicken breasts and shred. Then, add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and add in the cream cheese.
- When the cream cheese has melted into the buffalo chicken soup, add in the heavy cream and stir until smooth. Top with cilantro and green onion and enjoy!