I don’t know about you, but I haven’t had dirt cups in a long time!
That is, until I made these boozy dessert dirt cups! Made with a full-fat coconut milk base, these can easily be dairy free (especially if you use almond milk Baileys for that boozy taste).
These have been my go-to dessert recipe the last few weeks – hope you love them as much as I do!
Why you’ll love these dirt cups
They’re a fun dessert for adults. While these dirt and worm cups are traditionally made for kids, I still love them (and love how they’re for adults only – thanks to the Baileys)!
They’re so easy to make. Apart from melting a chocolate bar and smashing some Oreos, all you really need to do is put everything into a blender and then pour that mixture into a cup!
They’re perfect for spooky season! The “worms” and “dirt” make this the perfect snack to serve guests around spooky season!
To make these alcoholic dirt cups, you’ll need:
- Full fat coconut milk – No instant pudding mix is used in this recipe! I use full fat coconut milk (in the can) to create a more mousse like consistency (more on that soon).
- Baileys – I’ve used both Baileys and Kahlúa in these dirt cups and found that Baileys tastes so much better!
- Oreos – More specifically, crushed oreos. Any form of chocolate sandwich cookies will work for this recipe. I went with Oreos, but you could also use chocolate graham crackers or teddy grahams!
- Vanilla extract – Vanilla bean paste works too. I think vanilla and chocolate pair well together, but feel free to omit the vanilla extract.
- Espresso powder – The espresso powder elevates that chocolate flavor you’re after.
- Chocolate bar – One melted chocolate bar is all you need to reach that delicious chocolatey consistency!
- Maple syrup – Helps to sweeten your dirt cups.
- Gummy worms – You can’t have these dirt cups without gummy worms!!
A few things to note. Most recipes online use instant chocolate pudding to make their dirt cups. I really like making a more elevated “chocolate pudding” with full fat coconut milk though! If you’d like to use a store bought instant chocolate pudding mix, feel free to do that! However, because I don’t use an instant pudding mixture, this recipe wouldn’t be the one for you to follow.
My worm and dirt parfaits have a mousse like consistency (which I really like more than a chocolate pudding mix). It makes these dirt cups feel a bit more grown up! I also don’t use any whipped cream or cool whip in these dirt cups – I don’t really think it’s needed!
Also, feel free to omit the alcohol to make these dessert cups non-boozy and kid friendly!
Tip – Feel free to substitute the crushed Oreos with any type of cookie crumbs you like.
How to make these boozy dirt cups
First, chop and melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20 second intervals until fully melted. Add the espresso powder to the melted chocolate and stir to combine.
Add the full fat coconut milk, Baileys, vanilla extract, melted chocolate, and maple syrup to a blender and blend until fully combined.
Pour into small bowls (or into small ramekins) and place in the fridge to chill for up to five hours. Once the dirt cups have set, top with the crushed Oreos and gummy worms. Serve and enjoy!
Note: You can also place a handful of crushed Oreos at the bottom of your ramekin before your dirt cups set. Then, add the remaining crushed cookies to the top of your dirt cups!
Frequently asked questions
Can I use whipped cream on my dirt cups?
Of course! Feel free to use cool whip (or any frozen whipped topping) you’d like! I don’t personally enjoy it on my dirt cups but, if you do, go for it!
What if I want to use a pudding mixture instead?
You’ll have to follow another recipe! There are so many online – you won’t have trouble finding a good recipe that uses a store bought pudding mix!
Should I use cocoa powder in my dirt cups?
I think using a melted chocolate bar is enough – but if you want more of a chocolate flavor go for it!
I’d recommend sifting the cocoa powder into your mixture though – no one wants to eat a ball of cocoa powder that wasn’t blended properly!
Can I soak the gummy worms in alcohol to make this more boozy?
Absolutely! I’d soak them for 12-24 hours so they can fully absorb the vodka.Print
Boozy Dirt Cups
It’s spooky season and we are celebrating! These boozy dirt cups are perfect for parties and have a more “grown up” feel thanks to the chocolate mousse base and alcohol!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Time Spent Chilling: Up to 5 Hours
- Total Time: Up to 5 Hours & 10 Minutes
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 chocolate bar, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 TBSP espresso powder
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- 1 oz Baileys
- Oreos, for topping
- Gummy worms, for topping
- Chop and melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20 second intervals until fully melted. Add the espresso powder to the melted chocolate and stir to combine.
- Add the full fat coconut milk, Baileys, vanilla extract, melted chocolate, and maple syrup to a blender and blend until fully combined.
- Pour into small bowls (or into small ramekins) and place in the fridge to chill for up to five hours. Once the dirt cups have set, top with the crushed Oreos and gummy worms. Serve and enjoy!
You can also place a handful of crushed Oreos at the bottom of your ramekin before your dirt cups set. Then, add the remaining crushed cookies to the top of your dirt cups!
* Depending on how firm you want these, the chilling time will vary! I keep them in the fridge for about 4-5 hours to make sure they’re set.